
Rendezvous Farms we given its name for a very special reason, another whole story. Anyway, a few years ago Mike and I were in the process of buying our first home together. We searched for quiet sometime and had very specific criteria. Mike wanted wooded land for hunting, I wanted pasture land for horses, at least we knew we wanted land. I took out a map and a compass one day and marked a circle on the map highlighting the 5 mile radius from the office. Since the office is within the city, I wanted to be close enough to run errands without too much of a thought, and I wanted work to be a hop-skip-and a jump away. Some people up here live and work many miles apart-not for me. As you can imagine, our search was limited. It just so happened that one day I stumbled upon a listing that had 17 acres partially wooded within 5 miles of the office, the only problem-the house. The house was in shambles, Mike refused to even look at it at first. But as luck would have it, we were out driving around one day and decided to take a peak from the road. Spotted by a resident of the house, they invited us in to see the place. We went around back and they showed us 7 acres of woods and 10 acres of pasture, SOLD!!! I didn't even care what the house looked like. Needless to say, we have spent/spend countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears working on this place. We love it, it's our home, and it's going to be incredible when we are finished. Shortly after we moved in, I just so happened to find a horse for sale that of course needed me as much as I needed him. His name is Prince, he is my 4 yr old "friesian" (we really don't know for sure what he is). Prince arrived here at the farm while I was busy putting up the fence-craziness! We then added horses to the farm, Champ is our Quarter Horse Paint, Fancy is our Quarter Horse yearling, and Little Man is our newest addition, a Hackney pony. Champ was purchased for Michael and for Prince. My yearling filly was a Mother's Day present from my husband, the pony was given to us at a darn garage sale (watch out for those garage sales). At this point in time, we don't know if we are keeping Little Man or not-I'll keep you posted. Along with our heard of horses we have three dogs, Brady, my beagle; Lilly, our rescued Boston Terrier; and Ziva, our young Akita. The dogs absolutely love the farm! They have full access to about 1/2 acre dog run from the garage which is connected to the house. Outside we have two farm cats and 12 chickens, some deer, bear, and big cats too! Work on the farm is therapy for me. I go out with the girls, Haidyn strapped to my back, and we muck stalls, feed the animals, play with the animals, go for walks, and simply enjoy the country life. It is not always bliss, last week we got a call about hay being ready so away we went to get our hay. My husband and I LOADED our first load of 75 bales, brought them home, and unloaded them. The we went back to get our second load of 75 bales, which I had the honorable duty of unloading them by myself, well not technically, Haidyn was on my back. I unloaded an stacked the second load myself all because it looked like rain and Mike was at the office. Nope-didn't rain even a drop, did I mention it was a blistering 86 degrees up here that day? This farm girl works!
No comments:
Post a Comment